Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Albany Duathlon

Alright, here's a long overdue race report. I figure better late than never....

Jennifer, Jennifer's parents, Karl, and myself made the trip to Albany on May 24th.
This is a really small local du. The first time for all of us, but it was a good course and well organized. Jennifer's parents were good sports about coming along. I can't imagine watching a bunch of crazies run and bike being on their top 10 list, but we were glad they came along.

The weather was nearly perfect, maybe a little warm, but not much wind. The course was 2/15/2. The first run included a long downhill....unfortunately, it also included the uphill on the way back. Karl and I ran together, he led on the way out, and I took over on the way back. We also had some help from local speedster Tara Sheetz. (and she was racing with an injury...lucky for us, or she would have left us in the dust) I don't recall the exact times, and we didn't get splits, but it had to be around 13 minutes.

Karl and I were out of transition within a few seconds of each other. The bike course included a short out and back, with the bulk of it on a two loop section with a few rollers. I stuck with Karl for awhile, but he eventually pulled away from me. Tara Sheetz caught Karl and the race was on between them. I think Tara eventually pulled a small gap on him, but they both had great times. (I'm guessing somewhere in the 40 minute range...around 23mph avg.) I rolled in 30 seconds or so later. I had a pretty quick transition to the second run. I was slowly gaining on Karl, but just couldn't close it down. Tara was flying and had at least a minute plus on both of us. Karl sprinted in for an overall time of 1:07:41 for 1st in his division, and 5th overall. I was right behind him at 1:07:52 for 2nd in my division, and 6th overall. Tara Sheetz came in at 1:05:45....crazy fast, and 4th overall.

Jennifer had a great race as well. She's not very confident about her runs, but her bike is always fast. I'm not 100% sure of her splits, but she was fast enough to take 1st place in her division, and 2nd fastest women overall. She finished with a time of 1:24:49 and 19th overall. (including the men)

Overall a really fun race that I'd do again in a heartbeat. Very well organized and super friendly people. Good times.

I'll post some pic's when I can find them......

No comments: