Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Beloit Duathlon

I figure I'd better catch up on some posts.....before I forget everything.

Myself, Jennifer, Chris, and Karl made the short trip to Beloit for the "Beloit Biathlon." (no ski's or rifles) I wasn't expecting much, since I'd strained my calf muscle a few days before. Normally I can just run through that sort of thing, but this was really causing a problem.

Karl and I were in the "Elite" heat. Not because we're elite mind you....but it does make it easier than picking your way around people on hybrids....with baskets....and flowers. Chris and Jennifer started in the 3rd wave, and as it turns out, Chris had no problem getting around the people on the hybrid bikes.... with the baskets.

No split times this year, and I don't remember everyone's times, so I'm just going to post the finish times. (and besides, I have like 3 more posts to catch up on all the racing.)

Jennifer had a good race and ended up 4th in her age group. The women's overall winner came out of Jennifer's AG, so she moved up a spot for 3rd. She's on a roll this year for medaling in every race. I'm still waiting to see how she does when she actually starts training. Finish Time: 1:09:13 (10th fastest woman overall)

Chris should probably take up duathlons....as long as he stays out of my age group. Since we didn't have splits, it's tough to say, but I'm guessing Chris had one of the fastest bike times at the race. (somewhere in the 24mph range?)Combine that with two pretty good runs, and he ended up with a finish time of: 57:47 (7th in a tough age group, and 13th overall) Throw in some off-road sections, and he'd be winning these things.

Karl had a strong race as usual. He continues to train like a mad man, and it's really paying off this year. I finished just ahead of him on the first run, but after that, he took the lead and kept it. I tried to keep him in sight on the bike, but as usual, he slowly pulled away from me. He's been working on his run off the bike, and it seems to be doing the trick. I tried to close it down, but just didn't have the juice. Karl came in with a finish time of: 56:26 (4th in the 30-39 age group, and 7th fastest overall.) Awesome job....now stay the hell out of the 40-49 AG!

Like I mentioned earlier, I wasn't expecting much at this race. Surprisingly things went better than anticipated. My calf loosened up nicely on the first run, and I felt decent on the bike. My second run wasn't anything to write home about, but I haven't been hitting the bricks like I should be. Overall a pleasant surprise with a finish time of: 58:05 (4th in my age group, and 14th overall) Turns out I missed 3rd in my AG by 38 seconds....bummer, but that's racing.

Here's a few pic's....thanks to Karl



Jennifer heading to the finish.



(actually 1:09:13 because of third wave start)



The only one of us to medal at Beloit!



Jennifer hanging out with one her many fans.



Chris showing us how it's done in his first duathlon.



Chris still has enough energy to lift his thumb.

No comments: