Thursday, July 17, 2008

Metlife Duathlon 2008

OK, I'm slowly catching up on posts.

Karl, Jennifer, and I made the long haul to Tinley Park Illinois for the Metlife Du. We've done this race four years in a row, so we couldn't pass it up.
Karl's parents are nice enough to let us stay with them. Lucky for us, they only live 30 minutes from the course.

We made it to the race early, with intentions of getting a good warm up. The course is a 2mi/11mi/2mi, so it's fast from the start. Unfortunately, just as we pulled into a spot, it started to rain. We waited it out, but lost valuable warm up time.
We did manage to get decent spots in transition, so that was a plus. The weather was warm and humid, and if the sun came out, it was going to be brutal.

Karl and I lined up together for the Men's start. I made into a fast group...and we were flying. I checked my watch at the one mile turnaround....5:25. Needless to say, I figured I'd better back it down for the second mile. Karl wasn't too far behind me, and ended up passing me before transition. We were both passed by a guy pushing someone in a wheelchair. I give this guy HUGE kudos for giving it everything he had. I believe he was part of a relay team, but still, an awesome display of drive and determination.

We were on our bikes quickly, and out onto the flat, fast course. I tried to stay with Karl, but as usual he slowly pulled away from me. I rode a steady pace and felt pretty good. No offense to the FIB's, but most of them can't climb to save their lives. No fault of their own mind you.....it's pretty flat down there. I hammered it up and over the only "climb" on the course. (which was actually an overpass) I dropped a half dozen guys right there. Unfortunately, they may not be able to climb, but they sure can run.....

I came out of T2 feeling ok, but definitely not great. I haven't been doing a lot of bricks, and it was going to cost me at this race. I must have lost 6-8 spots on the second run. My legs never really came around, and I had to really gut it out the last 100 yards or so. I probably could have pipped a guy on the line, but I felt a little bad for him, so we came in neck and neck.

Jennifer had good race as usual, but there was some tough competition this year. Her runs are coming along, but her bike was where she put some time into people. I'm not sure how she managed it, but she had a faster bike time than last year....with a lot less training. Go figure. Hopefully she can improve her runs for next year, as I really think a top 3 AG finish is possible.

Here's the lowdown on every one's results, as well as a link to the race site:


Jennifer - Run 1: 17:01 T1: 1:01 Bike: 31:46 T2: 1:05 Run 2: 18:31 Total: 1:09:22
She finished 7/28 women in her age group, and 127th overall (out of 372) Jennifer also had the 7th fastest women's bike time, (20.8 avg.)and the 75th fastest bike time overall.

Karl - Run 1: 13:06 T1: :48 Bike: 27:03 T2: :43 Run 2: 14:16 Total: 55:54
Karl had an awesome race. He's really picked it up this year. He finished 5/39 in his AG, and 12th out of 372. He also had the 3rd fastest bike time overall. (24.4 avg.) Keep it up.....but stay out of the 40-49 AG. I've got a enough competition as it is.

Mark - Run 1: 13:08 T1: :48 Bike: 28:03 T2: :52 Run 2: 15:29 (bummer) Total: 58:19
I had a decent race....right up to my second run. I ended up 6/35 in my AG, and 28th out of 372. Overall I can't complain, it's my own fault for not working those second runs harder. I have a lot of work to do for next year.

Thanks to Karl's parents for letting us hang out at their place, very much appreciated. Looking forward to next years race.

Here are a few pics' courtesy of Karl:



Karl and I heading back in from the first run.



Look really close...behind the guy in the hat...next to the short guy...that's me.



Jennifer's moving so fast...she's out running the shadows.



Here's the view from Katrina's world...she's short...we're tall.



We managed to smile....although it was the first time none of us came home with a medal this year.

No comments: