Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Weekend Ride...finally!!

Well, we finally got out for our first weekend ride in a couple of weeks. Sunday afternoon was sunny and around 34 degrees. (we couldn't pass that up) The roads are in freaking horrible condition, but hey, it beats the trainer.

We met at Chris and Gails place about 2:30. We managed to find a fairly unobstructed route out of town towards Oregon. The downhill sections were a little spooky....trying to stay in the narrow tire tracks was a challenge. I've got to say, the GF Rig is an awesome bike for these conditions. No gears to freeze up, big tires to soak up the bumps, disc brakes to slow things down, and a really confidence inspiring ride.....it's sweet. C&G rode their old Trek hardtails, and Karl rode his Trek XO cross bike. (I'm guessing that was a little sketchy, but he seemed to keep everything under control....of course we never ventured off road, where no doubt he would have immediately fallen over for no particular reason.)

We stopped twice along the route, (taking in some of the SVC's Badfish TT course)to snap a few pics's. Thankfully Chris remembered to actually bring a camera. (like I said before, I'm going to have to remember stuff....or have someone remember it for me) We used the snow as a make shift bike stand for this one.



The next one was just outside of town. We decided to stop and pet a horse....which turned out to be a really big dog. Now when I say "big" I mean BIG. I'm guessing this horse-dog was about three feet taller than Gail....but then again, who isn't three feet taller than Gail... (sorry Gail, I couldn't resist) anyway, here's photographic proof.



We also have a little bit of snow around here.



Coming back into town Chris and Karl "put the hammer down" on our usual summer sprint hill. Needless to say, the SS and I were having a tough time. Chris summed it up pretty well when he said, "I think your cadence was higher than your heart rate."
I was going to break out my one-legged 190rpm sprint drills, but I didn't want to show off....or fall down.

The overall ride was a blast...as usual. Thanks to Karl's calculations, 21.6 miles in 1 hour and 55 minutes...for a blazing average of 11.3 mph. Hey cut us some slack, the roads are in rough shape....and at least we were outside.

Stopped by Phil's new place last night for the first official meeting of the Stoton Velo/Brazen Dropout Club. That will need a post all it's own....

2 comments:

Karl B said...

I never fall down "for no apparent reason" ... the reason is, and always is, I am the WORST off-road bike handler in the state of Wisconsin, period.

Mark said...

That is a pretty good reason...but like they say, "if you ain't crashin', you ain't ridin' fast enough!" I'm not sure who "they" are, but I'm not a big fan of the crashin'....which may explain my poor cycling performance...